Self-medication is the practice of an individual using available medications or substances to
treat self-diagnosed symptoms and conditions without the help of a health care professional. In
general, people do self-medication because it is instant, and of course, there is no expense of
the doctor. But this is a habit that can damage one's health, causing many side effects and even
One of the major issues with self-medication is the dosage. We do not have a clue as to how
the drugs should be taken, side effects, reactions, and we often underestimate their strength.
Some of the effects of self-medication include:
· Incorrect self-diagnosis.
· Delays in seeking appropriate medical advice and proper treatment.
· Potential adverse reactions.
· Worsening of the condition the individual is trying to self-treat.
· Dangerous drug interaction.
· Masking of severe diseases.
· Risk of dependence and abuse
Ensure you get a proper diagnosis from a health care professional. Stop self-medication!
Say no to self medication